Friday, May 6, 2011

Lance P. Hickey, Ph.D.



Lance P. Hickey, known as Prof Hickey, past away Monday night after teaching a class over at Southern Connecticut. The cause of his death is still unknown, atleast to his students. On Tuesday I drove to my 6pm class to find no one was there. I ran to the library to check my email and there it was "class canceled." I thought it was odd, in the 15 weeks i've had him, he never canceled. He loved to teach! Yesterday I went back, hoping class was back in session, only to find two counselors there making us aware of the passing of Prof. Hickey. When I tell you there was not a dry eye in the class, I mean it! The guys were even crying. Prof Hickey was one of a kind. For those of you that know me, you know how much I hate school. I should be graduating but im so far behind because I dont take it seriousilly. Well, every Tues and Thursday I looked forward to his class. He was so inspiring and upbeat. He always made us laugh and we always had such a great time in class. He's one of those professors that I can say, changed my life and the way I look at education. I want to push myself harder because he showed me how important education is. I want to be educated so I can speak the way he did. The way he spoke, made everyone listen. He had so much power to what he was saying and took teaching to a whole new level. A quote I will live by, because of him, is "I think, therefore I am." Prof. Hickey was a graduate of Columbia University, which goes to show how incredibly smart he was. His teachings will live on. My class sat in the classroom for 40 minutes and talked about how wonderful he was and how he has touched our lives. Prof. Hickey was much too young to leave but im happy to of had him as my professor. 

I called my mom as I was leaving. Ofcourse, hystericle. She left work and we went and got ice cream. I felt better after that, ofcourse! It was just a shock, to get to class to hear your prof. died. He was suppose to give us back our papers so we could revise them. Next week we were suppose to review for final and than take our final on the 17th. Luckily the police in Conn. were able to track down his record book and mail it to the school.

This is his website. He was the senior editor and writer......check it out. All tips on how to be HAPPY.
http://www.pursuit-of-happiness.org/about-us/team/

*~*~Life is too short to be anything but happy~*~*

4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your professor! I am going to check out his website.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your heartfelt words. Lance was my best friend..we worked on the website as a team and as you know he was devoted to philosophy, for the best reasons. He wanted us to discover ourselves in a deep way.
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so nice he was also my professor at the University of Bridgeport. He was a great teacher it was always a pleasure to be in his class he kept us interested the entire time, his laugh is one I won't forget.

    -Princess

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a nice post:) I was his student at SCCC and I have not been able to shake his death all week. Like you, I also called my mom crying after class. Lance was such a great teacher and lovely human being. I hope he is looking down now and seeing how much he touched our lives. I think he would be incredibly proud for that. RIP Professor Hickey!!

    ReplyDelete